Roland SP-404A Linear Wave Sampler
Seen it cheaper? We match authorised UK dealers
The Roland SP-404A is a powerful linear wave sampler which combines a sequencer and a sampler and includes a wealth of powerful controls such as 12 performance pads and three non-slip rotary controls while 29 onboard DSP effects allow you to sculpt your sounds easily.
- See full product description
0% Finance: From only £36.13 per month!
The Roland SP-404A is a powerful linear wave sampler that combines the power of both sampling and sequencing allowing you to build and create songs live or in the studio with endless loops and tracks. A distinctive 16-bit linear sampler works seamlessly with 29 onboard effects, smooth FX mixing, and 12 professional performance pads provide you with an intuitive workflow that is perfect for live performers, DJs, studio sessions, and musicians. Supplied with the SP404A is an SD Card filled with a library of samples by industry-leaders Loopmasters and pairs excellently with the TR-8 for exciting live performances.
The SP-404A can handle an endless amount of loops which lets you build tracks and songs within seconds thanks to the powerful onboard pattern sequencer which has been designed especially for real-time track creation. This exceptional sequencer/sampler is optimised for live engagement and performances and offers an impressive quantise mode that includes shuffle quantisation so you can create exciting grooves with swing and movement. You can easily create patterns on the fly using the 99 available measures, continuous looping, and the ability to layer, structure, and shape songs is all available directly at your fingertips. You’re able to store up to 120 patterns (12 patterns x 10 banks) and recall them instantly when needed.
Using the interactive loop and pattern sequencer controls you can take full advantage of the three non-slip rotary controls and 12 rubber performance pads while an additional sub pad lets you perform rapid-repeat triggers in real-time. The clearly illuminated pads and super-bright LED screen ensures excellent visibility when your performing in dark environments like DJ booths, dimly lit stages, and studios. A built-in microphone offers easy recording at any time and anyplace so you can quickly record sounds when inspiration strikes and thanks to the AC or battery power you can take the SP-404A absolutely anywhere. Line inputs let you sample directly from a mixer or external device while a mic input lets you sample directly from a microphone. Thanks to the SP404A’s high-quality uncompressed WAV audio-capture format your recordings and samples will always sound pristine.
Your sounds can easily be sculpted using the 404A’s 29 high-quality onboard DSP effects which include essential FX such as spacious reverbs, thick choruses, plush filters, and smooth delays. The effects allow you to seamlessly switch between loops and tracks so you can smoothly transition while you perform. There is also a range of impressive performance-based effects available including a voice transformer and a looper while the filter and isolator allow you to instantly alter your sounds and transform them into new elements for reuse and re-sampling. When combined with a DJ mixer, the SP404A can be used as a standalone FX processor using its powerful digital signal processor. A special limiter mode comes into action to prevent overloading while performing and ensures a stable sound without any unwanted sonic artefacts; this limiter mode is especially effective for live DJ performances, keeping your sounds safeguarded at critical moments.
The SP-404A comes equipped with nine banks of high-quality, premium samples so you can instantly get playing and performing right out of the box. The sound library comes with the included SD card and was created by industry-leading sample developers, Loopmasters. Further samples can be loaded into the SP-404A via the SD card slot that supports SDHC card sizes up to 32GB. Alternatively, you can import WAV or AIFF audio files from your Windows or Mac computer using the dedicated software (available from the Roland website) and assign them directly to the performance pads. The software is intuitive and easy to use; it displays the 12 pads on screen and can convert SP-404 format files for use in the SP-404A.
- Sample anytime, anywhere with the built-in mic and battery power
- Can be triggered from the 16-step sequencer in the TR-8 Rhythm Performer (TR-8 system version 1.50 or later required)
- AIRA black-and-green colour scheme to match existing AIRA hardware
- “Sounds by Loopmasters” SD card includes over 100 new stereo samples, effects, and one-shots
- 29 DSP effects, including filter, delay, unique voice effects, subsonic, looper, and more
- Three control knobs, 12 trigger pads, and Sub Pad for rapid-repeat triggering
- Seamless effects switching for smooth, perfect performances
- Pattern sequencer with quantize mode and shuffle feels
- Import audio files from a computer and assign samples to pads with free Mac/Windows software
Roland SP-404A Technical Specifications:
- Maximum Polyphony: 12 voices
- Data Format: 16-bit linear (.wav/.aiff)
- Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz
- Effects: 29 types
- Pads: 12 + Sub pad × 1
- Controllers: Control knob × 3
- Display: 7 segments, 3 characters (LED)
- Onboard Mic: Mono × 1
- Samples: 120 (12 samples × 10 banks) (stored on SD card)
- Patterns: 120 (12 patterns × 10 banks) (stored on SD card)
Sampling Time (Total time for all samples)
- The maximum sampling time (size) for a single sample is approximately 180 minutes in stereo (2 GB). The following shows the approximate total sampling time of the samples that can be stored on one SD card.
Card capacity / Stereo (Mono)
- 1 GB: Approx. 90 min. (180 min.)
- 2 GB: Approx. 180 min. (360 min.)
- 4 GB: Approx. 360 min. (720 min.)
- 8 GB: Approx. 720 min. (24 hours)
- 16 GB: Approx. 24 hours (48 hours)
- 32 GB: Approx.48 hours (96 hours)
*Since the SD card included with the SP-404A contains preload data, the available sampling time will be less than the time above.
- Maximum recordable notes: Approx. 16,000 notes
- Resolution: 96 ticks per quarter note
- Pattern length: 1–99 measures
- Recording method: Realtime Loop Recording (with shuffle quantize function)
- LINE IN jacks (L, R) (RCA phono type)
- LINE OUT jacks (L, R) (RCA phono type)
- PHONES jack (Stereo 1/4-inch phone type)
- MIC IN jack (1/4-inch phone type)
- MIDI IN connector
- DC IN jack
- SD card slot
- Power Supply: AC Adaptor or Alkaline battery (AA, LR6)/Rechargeable Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) × 6
- Battery Life for Continuous Use - Rechargeable Ni-MH battery: Approximately 5 hours (When using batteries having a capacity of 1,900 mAh.)
- Battery Life for Continuous Use - Alkaline battery: Approximately 4 hours
- Current Draw: 450 mA
*These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.
*Batteries sold separately
- SD Card
- AC Adaptor
- Owner’s Manual
Size and Weight
- Dimensions (wxDxH mm): 178 x 257 x 73
- Weight (excluding AC adapter): 1.2Kg