The Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S4 MK2 is the new and improved (both hardware and performance wise), four-deck, industry standard, Traktor controller.
The Traktor Kontrol S4 has been designed from scratch and now has the hardware and software working effortlessly together. The controller is powerful, user friendly and very efficient, just as you would expect from a professional DJ system. The S4 has amounted from a 10-year vision and now Native Instruments has the knowledge and experience to build it into a reality. As the controller is designed logically, DJs who are new to Traktor will find it simple to use and the more long standing Traktor users will be able to use it to its full potential.
|TRAKTOR introduces Stem View: Performance|
What Is Stems?
Stems is a complete multi-channel audio format, where each music element can be divided, and then controlled and adjusted individually, within a track. Prior to Stems, DJ mixing is carried out mostly by modifying and managing the volume, effects and EQ over a track as a whole.
Stem view is now included within the most recent version of Traktor Pro 2, which is a 4-track view for the Stem Deck. All Traktor users are able to modify up to four music elements in a track e.g. drums, melody, bassline and vocals.
The new version also allows the user to produce instantaneous mixes, acapellas track edits and more through the modification of separate Stem parts within the mix as a whole. As an example the user can add effects to vocals, guitar or leads and leave the remaining of the track dry. The possibilities are endless and the user has full control and creativity over how they want their mix to sound.
The Kontrol S4 MK2s layout has been logically designed with ease of use in mind. The mixer section can be found in the centre of the controller along with the level faders, filter knob, 3-band EQs, gain and two FX sends for each channel. Either side there is a silicone-damped jog wheel and lit RGB colour coded buttons. The controller also features recorder controls and a knob for Macro FX.
The S4 includes two analogue stereo inputs, phono and microphone preamps, which are ready to connect external devices such as turntables or CD players. An additional auxiliary session input enables the controller to be linked to other analogue units. There is a ¼” jack mic-in, a high-gain ¼” stereo/headphone output and an individual booth output.
In the centre of the Traktor Kontrol S4 MK2 is the new Loop Recorder. This feature allows the DJ to record live loops from any of the channels, single or multiple, or from the live input feeds e.g. the master output and microphone input.
Layers and overdub loops can be applied on top of one another, along with using the record button (or optional footswitch) to trigger the recording and overdubbing from the Loop Recorder unit, which is actually similar to having a fifth deck. Additionally, a loop can be transferred from the Loop Recorder to a Sample deck slot straight away, which then frees the Loop Recorder for more use.
The S4 boasts a noticeably smooth crossfader, which is replaceable, and the sharpness curve can be changed via the software to suit the users mixing approach.
Each fader has dedicated path limiters which makes sure there is zero dead zone at their boundaries for sharp cutting. The faders are strong and hardwearing, and designed to withstand rigorous use over a long period of time.
Finally, the encoders are used as gain controls for each individual decks in Traktor, the two FX buttons sends audio to up to two effect sections for each channel, the Master Level knob changes the master output volume and the Master Tempo controls the overall tempo.
Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S4 Mk2 DJ Controller Features:
- Updated MK2 hardware with new duo-tone design
- Improved fader reliability
- Plug-and-play support for hands-on control over
- TRAKTOR DJ for iPad and iPhone
- Dedicated Flux Mode controls and separate booth output
- Fully-integrated 4-deck TRAKTOR controller and flagship TRAKTOR PRO 2 software with Remix Decks
- Plug and play - all that is required to start mixing is a Laptop/PC and MP3s
- Improved silicone-damped jog wheels with aircraft-grade aluminium plates
- Adds precision control, cueing, and club-ready output levels to TRAKTOR DJ for iPad and iPhone
- Ergonomic 4-channel mixer with rock-solid faders, and Flux Mode and Loop
- Recorder controls
- Bright, colour-coded RGB buttons trigger cue points, loops, and samples with instant visual feedback
- 2 customizable FX units with over 30 effects (DJ-tested)
- One-knob Macro FX
- World-renowned TRAKTOR engine ensures perfect sync and super-tight mixing
- Built-in, high-end 24-bit/96kHz low latency audio interface with Cirrus Logic
- AD/DA converters and MIDI I/O
- 2 analog inputs with phono and mic preamps for connecting turntables, CD players or external devices
- 1/4" jack mic-in, high-gain 1/4" stereo and headphone outputs and separate booth output